Acute and Chronic Pain Management Specialist Serving DFW, Frisco and Mesquite TX
Acute and chronic pain management are two different approaches to treat pain based on the duration and underlying cause of the pain. Expert pain management doctors and specialists are available at OmniSpine Pain Management. Schedule your appointment with Dr. Morchower today. Our clinics are located in Frisco, TX, and Mesquite, TX. For more information, Contact us today or book an appointment online. We serve patients from Dallas TX, Frisco TX, Mesquite TX, Plano TX, Garland TX, Forney TX, Cedar Hill TX, and Denton TX.
Over 100 Million Americans suffer from chronic pain. Many have convinced themselves to just “live with it” and manage it on their own the best they can. However, treatment is available. The physicians at Omni Spine Pain Management specialize in providing relief to individuals suffering from acute and chronic pain.
We know that untreated pain interferes with life in every aspect. It affects relationships, mental clarity, physical and emotional well-being. Research and new technology in recent years has led to several breakthroughs in the management of chronic pain. Specialists like Dr Morchower are able to better understand where the pain comes from, how to properly identify and locate the source of the problem, and use medication or new targeted procedures to treat the problem.
Management of chronic pain encompasses a wide variety of methods, although it usually involves a combination of medication, minimally invasive procedures and in approximately 5% of cases, spine surgery (consumer.healthday.com/encyclopedia/back-care-6/backache-news-53/back-surgery-645795.html). Both oral and topical therapies are effective treatments for pain in conjunction with minimally invasive procedures. Oral medications that Dr Morchower utilizes include:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (i.e. Ibuprofen, Celebrex, Alleve, Meloxicam)
- Opioids (pain medications)
- Topical therapies for pain via ointment, cream or patch
- Medications to “Calm Down” Irritated Nerves (i.e. Gabapentin/Neurontin, Lyrica, Elavil, etc)
- Muscle Relaxers
- Anti-depressants (i.e. Cymbalta, Elavil, etc)
Non-pharmaceutical (non-medication) forms of therapy play an important role in treatment and long-term management of pain, as well. These therapies not only help to relieve pain, but they also serve to strengthen the body and help prevent re-injury or recurrence of the pain. Therapies for chronic pain management include:
- Physical therapy – a trained professional performs physical acts (massage, heat therapy, varying exercises) in a facility or at home to decrease pain
- Acupuncture – a professional acupuncturist places needles in specific parts of your body to relieve pain and release endorphins to reduce pain
- Transcutaneous Electro-Nerve Stimulator (TENS) – small units that provide stimulation around the area of pain to relieve a variety of pain symptoms
- Bracing (of Low back, Neck or Knees) to stabilize the area and allow for pain reduction
*Individual Result May Vary*