Reasons to Visit a Pain Management Doctor
There are many different ways a pain management doctor can help a patient, and they will always work with the patient to find the best solution for them on an individual basis, developing a custom-tailored treatment plan. Visit our compassionate specialist, Dr. Andrew Morchower, M.D., at OmniSpine Pain Management. He will help you evaluate, diagnose, treat, and prevent many different types of pain. For more information, Contact us today or book an appointment online. Our clinics are located in Frisco TX, Sunnyvale TX, and Mesquite TX.
Table of Contents:
Why do doctors refer patients to pain management?
What do patients expect from their first visit to a pain clinic?
How long does it take for pain management to work?
What is the process of pain management?
Doctors all over the world refer their patients to specialists who are better suited to handle complex situations. This includes pain management specialists, who focus on alleviating pain from a variety of causes. The most common reasons patients are referred to pain management include:
• When other methods do not work
• You have experienced an accident or surgery
• You possess a chronic condition
• You do not want to undergo surgery
• Your doctor is unsure about the cause or origin of the pain
The first visit to a pain clinic is different for every patient but typically involves a review of medical history, a discussion of symptoms, and the development of a treatment plan. The pain management specialist will review your condition and determine what treatments will be necessary to provide lasting relief. If the underlying cause of pain has been identified, they will work to address this root problem to improve overall wellness and reduce the need for future treatments.
The time it takes to see results from pain management varies from one person to the next and is dependent upon several factors, including:
• The origin of the pain
• The chronicity of the pain (its duration)
• The severity of the pain
• Complexities of the condition
• Previous treatments tried
• How the patient responds to the treatment
Because there are so many variables involved, it is impossible to predict how quickly you will find relief from pain management; you could see dramatic results in only a few weeks, while for others, it could take several months. The key thing to focus on is not how quickly results are achieved, but that wellness is restored in the long term. For example, it is much better to find lasting relief after two months of treatment than to have near-instant relief only for the pain to recur, oftentimes with more ferocity.
Different pain management clinics may follow different protocols and procedures than other clinics, but in general, the process of pain management is as follows:
• Consultation — The first step of the process is a consultation, during which the patient’s condition, symptoms, and goals of treatment are discussed. The pain management clinic will also review the goals they have for the patient, including:
• Determining the need for pain management services
• Discovering the cause of the pain
• Narrowing the source of discomfort, if necessary
• Discussing the best pain management treatment plan for you and reviewing how the program works, its benefits, and what you can expect
• Treatment — The treatment is largely based on the pain’s location, intensity, and duration, as well as its underlying causes and the previous treatments that have been tried. The treatment may involve therapies, procedures, medications, and lifestyle changes, among others; each aspect will be individually tailored to meet the needs of each patient.
• Management — Once the pain has been treated, it may need to be managed to achieve long-term results. While this step is always necessary, it does not always present the same; some patients may require follow-up appointments for pain management treatments, while others may only need to maintain lifestyle changes such as dietary modifications or daily exercise.
The pain management specialists at OmniSpine Pain Management are dedicated to providing you with all of your pain management needs. For more information, Contact us today or book an appointment online. Our clinics are located in Frisco TX, Sunnyvale TX, and Mesquite TX. We serve patients from Dallas TX, Frisco TX, Mesquite TX, Sunnyvale TX, Plano TX, Garland TX, Forney TX, Cedar Hill TX, Denton TX, Balch Springs TX, and surrounding areas.